CTSTEM sponsors the annual Southern Connecticut Invitational Science & Engineering Fair and a variety of educational programs and activities.
Southern Connecticut Invitational Science & Engineering Fair
CTSTEM has grown more than ten-fold from its beginnings in 2001 as a local, eight-student fair to an exposition showcasing the projects of more than 250 students from many schools in southern Connecticut in 2015.Each student competes in one of three areas:
- Life Sciences, including Botany, Zoology, Environmental Science, Behavioral and Social Sciences, and Medicine and Health.
- Physical Sciences, including Chemistry, Computer Science, Earth Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, and Space Science.
- Research Proposal, for projects in the planning phases.
Educational Programs & Activities
Over the past eight years, CTSTEM has sponsored a number of programs for students, including:
- Field trips to local science/engineering-based companies, such as Pratt & Whitney’s aircraft engine manufacturing facility
- A program on the physics of driving a Le Mans race car (with an actual race car as part of the program)
- A presentation by civilian-astronaut Greg Olsen
CTSTEM is planning to expand its programs over the coming years geographically throughout southern Connecticut and into additional classes and grades.